Coconut milk is a delicious, healthy alternative for those of us who are allergic to milk, tree nuts and peanuts (ruling out almond milk – which is also delicious).
I used young green coconuts for this recipe, but you may also use mature coconuts, organic coconut cream, and coconut flakes (unsweetened and fine) to make your own.
What’s Difference Between Young Green Coconuts & Mature Coconuts?
The younger variety of coconuts have more water in them, a softer gel-like ‘meat’ and essentially more nutrients (the nutrient and physical characteristics change as the coconut matures).
Being on The Body Ecology Diet, young green coconuts, coconut water and oil are a big part of our diet.
I believe coconut water is responsible for the profound improvements in my son’s health and recovery.
Coconut Milk & Water Benefits
Coconut milk is high in fatty acids and contain lauric acid, which is the antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial powerhouse that boosts your immune system. Coconut water is so nourishing and hydrating to our system, it can mimic human plasma.
Coconut water was given to soldiers during World War II through IV to prevent dehydration. Saline solutions were in ‘short supply’ so medical professionals gave coconut water intravenously. Although not recommended today (the IV version that is) guzzling this delicious beverage can have wonderful results on your system too.
*Other benefits of coconuts include:
- It’s filled with electrolytes and potassium
- Lowers cholesterol
- Rejuvenates the skin
- Nourishing and moisturizing for hair
- Helps improve digestion
- Heals the gut
- Has a toning effect on the intestines helping to flatten the abdomen
- Cleanses the liver (which controls your skin, joints, and eyes)
- Contains lots of B Vitamins (natural mood boosters that help you feel good)
- Packs an abundance of magnesium, potassium, calcium and natural sodium – giving you shinier hair, glowing skin and stronger nails
- Has a cleansing, detoxifying effect on your endocrine system (thyroid, adrenal glands, ovaries, and pituitary glands)
*Benefits from The Body Ecology Diet & Mercola.com
Where To Buy YGCs
You can buy young green coconuts at some Farmer’s Markets, most health food stores (you may have to ask for them), Asian Food Markets, and Whole Foods.