Hello Chef Goddess,
We used a lot of edible products in this challenge, and now have the habit of using food & plant-based sources for our products.
Today’s recipe is not only good enough to eat, it’s good enough to replace whatever you’re using now for butter.
I must tell you, I really love butter.
I mean, really.
If you’re looking for foods to add to your diet for healthier hair and hair growth — add this one to your list!
Here’s what you need:
- flaxseed eggs
- lemon juice
- coconut oil
- olive oil
- sunflower oil (or rice bran oil, safflower oil, canola oil)
- container or jar to store butter in
Make the flaxseed eggs first.
If you have whole flaxseeds, you’ll need to grind these up first.
This can be done in your blender or with a coffee grinder. You can buy ground flaxseed meal. Bob’s Mill’s makes a good brand, but look around you local stores. Flaxseeds are easy to find.
If you’re making your own ground flaxseeds:
Grind 1/2 cup of flaxseeds on high for up to 1 minute.
It should look like this:
You’ll need to prepare the flaxseeds before making this recipe.
Prepare flaxseed eggs and add them to the blender.
Flaxseed Egg Recipe
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- Whisk or stir flaxseeds, then let sit for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk again to incorporate all the water, and add it to your recipe.
- 2 flaxseed eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons organic rice bran oil (or sunflower oil)
- 3 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 10 tablespoons raw, organic coconut oil
- Add flaxseed eggs to your blend, along with lemon juice and salt.
- Turn the blender on the lowest speed.
- Slowly pour in the sunflower oil. DO NOT POUR THIS ALL AT ONCE. We are emulsifying the oils so the slower you go the better.
- After the sunflower oil is added, gradually add the olive oil and the coconut oil.
- Once the ingredients are added, pour blend into your container or jar.
- Allow butter to get firm in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving.
After you pour the butter into your container, it will look something like this:
After the butter chills in the refrigerator, it will be firm enough to spread.
If you have little ones, this recipe is also kid-tested and approved!
***Recipe Bonus | Body Butter Recipe
If you leave out the flaxseed eggs, lemon and salt, this makes a deeply moisturizing body butter. Add your favorite essentials for fragrance (ylang ylang and palmarosa smell really good together: 2 drops each)